Fall Law Day
8:30 am - 11:30 am
Offered in-person and through Zoom. Zoom registrants will receive login information the day before the workshop.
CCOSA Members: $100
FREE for District Level Services Members.
November 29, 2022
Topics covered will include:
Superintendent Contracts - Attorney Doug Mann will discuss contract provisions and address issues including:
- Allowable financial provisions, such as annuities
- Negotiating financial terms
- The value of multi-year contract provisions
- Evaluation provisions and the impact of Board failure to evaluate
- The role of “anti-superintendent” board members in dismissal/nonreemployment proceedings
- Is it ever in the superintendent’s interest to fight dismissal or nonreemployment?
Library/Media Center Resource Challenges – We’ll discuss recent highly publicized book challenges and how to prepare for and respond to parent and patron concerns
Public Comment at Board Meetings – Doug will make policy and practice recommendations about public comment, including fervent comment covering difficult issues
Proposed Changes to the Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) – Kathy Dunn, CCOSA’s Director of Professional Learning for State and Federal Programs, will provide an overview of proposed CRDC rule changes that include public school collection of data about non-binary students
LGBTQ+ Frequently Asked Questions – CCOSA General Counsel Andrea Kunkel will discuss real-life questions involving LGBTQ+ students in light of 2021 guidance from the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, including:
- Responding to student name and pronoun preferences and requests to change education records
- Consequences for staff who fail or refuse to follow district/school directives
- Requests to add a non-binary option to school forms
- The latest on restroom, locker room and overnight trip issues
Oklahoma Parents Bill of Rights – Time permitting, Andrea will review the education topics already covered in this Oklahoma law and areas the Legislature may seek to expand