The Oklahoma Association of Elementary School Principals (OAESP) is a not-for-profit, professional association, organized for the purpose of improving elementary and middle-level education (PreK-8th grades) through activities such as providing information and leadership, encouraging research and service, and promoting high professional standards for Oklahoma administrators. OAESP is an affiliate of the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP), and a constituent association of the Cooperative Council for Oklahoma School Administration (CCOSA).
Active membership in OAESP is open to all persons engaged in elementary or middle-level administration and/or supervision, or to those who have previously served at that level, upon payment of annual dues. OAESP members are automatically members of CCOSA. Associate (non-voting) membership is open to persons who are engaged in instructional services associated with education, but are not currently administrators at any level. Graduate students in school administration (if they are not currently employed by a school system as a school administrator) for associate membership.
To support elementary and middle level principals by providing quality professional development, encouraging advocacy, and networking for the improvement of PreK-8 education in Oklahoma.
The Oklahoma Association of Elementary School Principals (OAESP) mission is to support administrators by providing quality professional learning, encouraging advocacy and networking for the improvement of PreK-8 education in Oklahoma. OAESP is a affiliate of the Cooperative Council for Oklahoma School Administration (CCOSA).
To meet 21st century learning needs, every Oklahoma child deserves a free high-quality education. The major challenge facing our state is retaining and recruiting effectively trained educators. Oklahoma must value, support, and compensate all educators for their positive impact that contributes to the future of our state.
Recruit and retain high quality teachers by supporting legislation that would help resolve the issue:
- Ensure adequate funding for teacher salaries
- Expand local control over teaching and learning
- Decrease the influence of high-stakes testing
- Preserve the defined benefits plan for retired educators
- Promote incentives to join the profession
- Restore funding for a formalized induction program for new teachers
- Ensure school administrators are highly trained to lead schools effectively.
Finance public schools to meet 21st century learning needs including our growing and diverse student population:
- Fully finance the Oklahoma School Funding Formula
- Restore state appropriated per-pupil funding to prerecession levels to ensure appropriate class sizes for all age levels
- Provide funds for principal/teacher professional learning designed to equip educators to address the needs of our most challenging populations, including children in trauma, and to successfully implement state mandated initiatives
- Provide adequate funding for school support staff and paraprofessionals
Protect research-based student learning fundamentals:
- Support legislation that will ensure a high quality, transparent, research based model for virtual education
- Promote effective age and developmentally appropriate student assessments (criterion-referenced, formative, multi-year, varied, ongoing)
- Ensure that student performance data from the state assessment is not a significant factor for determining teacher or principal effectiveness. Results should be considered a "snapshot" of student performance in each content area.
- Protect and promote recess as a crucial and necessary component of a child's development.
- Support internet access and devices for all students to provide equity in access to innovate instruction.
- Require the same accountability and transparency for brick/mortar and charter schools (including virtual schools).
The OAESP Principal Podcast features Oklahoma principals or assistant principals that are current OAESP members. Episodes are released every 2 weeks on Tuesday morning. Listen anywhere you listen to podcasts including Spotify, Apple, Google, CastBox, or Pocket Casts.