- Annual Membership Benefits
- How to Join
- Download Membership Form
- Who's Eligible?
- Payroll Deduction
- Liability Coverage (Included in Membership)
- Cyber Security Coverage (Optional)
- Life Insurance (Optional)
Membership year is July 1 through June 30
- United voice in state legislative activities
- Online services; including Professional Development and legislative updates
- Annual Conference for all members
- Professional and legal assistance to active members, including reimbursement of up to $500 in legal fees in cases of dismissal or non-renewal
- Free subscription to Better Schools Magazine
- Discounted professional development programs throughout the year
- Liaison with the State Department of Education and other state associations
- Complete the membership form
- You can choose to fill it out online or mail in a hard copy to the CCOSA office. Download the hard copy here.
- Contact our Membership Coordinator, Laura Crabtree with any questions you have at email@example.com
- Learn about all of the optional benefits.
- Choose your association. Joining any one of the five associations automatically makes you a member of CCOSA.
- You can pay by payroll deduction, personal check or personal credit card.
- Get started by checking out the Professional Development Calendar.
- CCOSA Membership is for Administrators serving at ANY level at the state, school district, or site level.
- Members who serve as administrators are not precluded from joining other CCOSA associations.
- Associate memberships are for school employees that are NOT administrators and are not active CCOSA members
- Associate memberships include university professors/staff, graduate level students not yet serving in a school administrative role, or a business associate.
- Joining a national association does NOT make you a member of CCOSA
You may payroll deduct your dues, pay by credit card, or pay by personal check.
CCOSA does not collectively bargain on behalf of our membership pursuant to any provision of federal law. Therefore, HB 1749 does NOT apply to CCOSA and our members are entitled to continue having membership dues payroll deducted and transmitted to our organization.
HB 1749 prohibits payroll deductions for membership dues in any organization that "on or after November 1, 2015, collectively bargains on behalf of its membership pursuant to any provision of federal law.
Liability coverage is provided for lawsuits filed against the CCOSA member while acting in the course and scope of his/her duties as an educator. Associate, university associate, business associate, national members, and OARSA members are not eligible for this insurance coverage.
What the Policy Covers
Coverage A - Liability Insurance
Up to $1,000,000 per insured per occurrence/$3,000,000 per occurrence, plus the cost of defense, investigation, and legal fees
- Applies in the event a member is alleged to have caused injury or damage to others while performing his/her professional duties.
- Errors and omissions insurance for claims for damages arising out of a member’s duties as a professional educator, including all defense costs.
Note: The duty of the insurer to defend extends even to groundless, false and frivolous suits and accusations.
Coverage B - Reimbursement of Attorney Fees
Up To $5,000 per claim, per insured. Coverage for criminal proceedings and/or sexual misconduct limited to $10,000 aggregate per policy term.
- The policy provides reimbursement of attorney fees in a broad range of situations not included under Coverage A. This includes allegations of criminal and/or sexual misconduct and employment-related actions against an educator involving dismissal, revocation of certification and other professional rights and duties.
- In actions involving termination, salary, reassignment, certification or resignation, the matter in dispute must be resolved in favor of the member to qualify for the full reimbursement of $5,000. However, $1,000 of this amount is available for initial consultation and research, whether or not the member prevails, to determine if there exists a reasonable chance of the case being resolved in the member’s favor.
Coverage C - Bail Bonds
Up to $1,000 premium on bail bonds
Criminal/Sexual Misconduct Allegations
The policy provides reimbursement of attorney fees up to $5,000 under Coverage B if the educator is acting in the scope of his/her duties.
Corporal punishment is covered under Coverage A (Liability) if administered according to the rules of the jurisdiction in which the school is located.
The Value of This Insurance
Coverage A - Liability
Protection for your assets if you are named in a lawsuit due to an event arising in the course and scope of your employment.
Coverage B - Reimbursement of Attorney Fees
Peace of mind in the workplace if there is an action or proceeding against you involving:
- Supervision, tenure, salary, leave of absence or dismissal
- Allegations of the improper discipline of a student
- Allegations of improper contact with a student
- Allegations of sexual harassment
- Allegations of violation of civil rights (if excluded under A)
- Certification or licensure
Coverage C - Bail Bonds
Questions to Ask Yourself
Do you have the financial ability to defend yourself in the event of a claim?
Do you have the experience to find the best legal counsel for your situation?
Recent Claims--Coverage A
An insured member was named in a lawsuit alleging a plaintiff was strip searched for suspected marijuana possession. This occurred in the presence of the principal. Due to the conflict of interest, the district would not defend the member. Over $60,000 has been paid to date by this policy.
A lawsuit with allegations that a member both physically and verbally harmed a special needs student is pending and defensible. The school district settled the case to its limit of coverage. More than $500,000 has been paid on the member’s behalf.
A lawsuit was filed after a school sporting event alleging hazing/bullying of a student on a bus. Expenses and reserves exceed $75,000.
Recent claims--Coverage B
Sexual misconduct--alleged inappropriate conduct with a female student. The insured was acquitted and the attorney reimbursed to the limit of Coverage B.
A teacher was terminated from his coaching position due to the alleged violation of school regulations. He was successfully defended and retained employment. His attorney was reimbursed $5,000.Offered by: Frates Insurance & Risk Management
www.fratesinsurance.com Supervising General Agent: Myron Steves Educators Liability Underwritten by Carrier rated A+XV
Superior by A.M. Best THIS IS NOT A CERTIFIED COPY OF THE POLICY BUT A SUMMARY AND IS PROVIDED FOR REFERENCE ONLY. ALL COVERAGE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE POLICY IN THE EVENT OF A LOSS OR OCCURRENCE IS SUBJECT TO THE EXCLUSIONS AND CONDITIONS CONTAINED IN THE MASTER POLICY ON FILE WITH THE POLICYHOLDER, INCLUDING ALL AMENDMENTS, ENDORSEMENTS, AND ADDITIONS.
CyberScout offers valuable services that deliver continuous protection at every stage of life. Enrollment is not eligible for associate, university associate, business associate, national members, and OARSA members.
Did you know identity theft claims more than 15 million victims a year, that’s a new victim every 2 seconds? And with identity theft taking months to resolve, it is as important as ever to get the protection you and your family deserve. You can count on CyberScout for services that help you minimize threats, monitor personal information and manage recovery if you’re ever the victim of identity theft or fraud.
Credit Protection Services
Daily Credit Bureau Monitoring — Daily monitoring of your personal records from the three credit bureaus.
Credit Report and Score — Provided annually by the three credit bureaus.
Score Tracker — Ongoing tracking of your credit score. Downward trends may tell you that new accounts are being opened in your name.
Proactive and Identity Monitoring Services
Dark Web — Continuous monitoring of the internet – places such as black market websites, underground chat rooms, and forums – to detect suspicious activities before your personally identifiable information (PII) is stolen. You’ll receive alerts when your SSN, credit card numbers, financial account numbers, medical ID, email, phone number and more are detected.
Social Security Number Monitoring — Reviews names, aliases, and addresses associated with your number for signs of fraud.
Credit and Debit Card Monitoring — Be notified when changes, such as your name, address, or a new account holder, are made to your credit or bank accounts.
Sex Offender Notification — Monitors registered sex offenders living near you to ensure an offender hasn’t registered using your name and address.
Comprehensive Identity Monitoring — Additional sources are also monitored, including court records, payday loans, change-of-address and more.
Advanced Monitoring Services
High-Risk Financial Monitoring — Receive alerts when new accounts are opened, or changes are made to an existing credit or bank account.
Child Monitoring — Monitors your child’s PII to detect changes associated with your child’s identity.
Social Monitoring — Proactively protecting your family’s reputation and online activity by monitoring popular social media services for information that could be dangerous or damaging.
Password Protector — An easy way to track your account credentials and reduce hacking risks. Also offers a password generator and secure password storage.
Resolving identity theft or fraud can be time-consuming and can sometimes involve expenses, including lawyer fees, loss of wages and more. So, at CyberScout, we’re pleased to offer expense reimbursement insurance to pay covered costs associated with the resolution process.
Plus, as a CyberScout subscriber, you’ll have access to our 24/7, world-class Resolution Center Support Team. Our trusted, experienced fraud resolution team will work with you until your issues are completely resolved.
But, don’t take our word for it. CyberScout achieves 99 percent and higher customer satisfaction ratings.
Please visit https://ccosa.e.paylogix.com/Login.aspx and sign in with your email address then select “Forgot Password” to set up your payment account. Following the set up of payments, CyberScout will reach out for more information regarding your coverage.
Enrollment is $9.50/month or $114/annually for an individual or $17.50/month or $210/annually for a family. Enrollment is not eligible for associate, university associate, business associate, national members, and OARSA members.
A life insurance policy is available as an option at a reduced rate from Liberty National to all members with the exception of associate, university, business associate and national members.
If you are interested in the voluntary option, contact a Liberty National representative at 405-640-4494.