Oklahoma Middle Level Education Association (OMLEA)
2020-2021 Priority Issues
The Oklahoma Middle Level Education Association (OMLEA) is dedicated to improving the educational experiences of young adolescents by providing vision, knowledge and resources to all who serve them in order to develop healthy, productive and ethical citizens. OMLEA maintains a current set of resolutions that highlight issues involving public schools and school leadership. OMLEA is appreciative of the public and legislative support for continued teacher compensation seen in the past legislative session. The following issues are still priorities for OMLEA and have been identified as focus areas during the 2018 legislative session:
- OMLEA supports continued increased funding for the Oklahoma 2019-20 School Funding Formula so that state appropriated per-pupil funding are restored to pre-recession levels.
Long-Term Plan for Teacher Pay-Raises
- OMLEA advocates for a long-range plan from the state legislature to provide sustainable teacher pay-raises that keep Oklahoma at or above the regional average.
Recruiting & Retaining Highly Qualified Teachers
- OMLEA believes that long-range funding investments will allow Oklahoma to recruit and retain high quality teachers and reduce the number of emergency certified teachers.
Autonomy & Support
- OMLEA opposes any legislation that would limit local control over teaching and learning, or reduce retirement benefits or incentives for public school educators.
Governance and Local Control
- OMLEA opposes forced state consolidation measures and believes local schools are best governed by local school boards.
Accountability & Training
- OMLEA welcomes transparent accountability of student progress and school performance and seeks increased funding for professional learning which supports ongoing growth opportunities designed to equip teachers and administrators in successfully implementing state mandated initiatives.