Legislative GoalsThe Oklahoma Association of Elementary School Principals (OAESP) mission is to support administrators by providing quality professional learning, encouraging advocacy and networking for the improvement of PreK-8 education in Oklahoma. OAESP is a affiliate of the Cooperative Council for Oklahoma School Administration (CCOSA).
Recruit and retain high quality teachers by supporting legislation that would help resolve the issue:
- Ensure adequate funding for teacher salaries
- Expand local control over teaching and leraning
- Decrease the influence of high-stakes testing
- Preserve the defined benefits plan for retired educators
- Promote incentives to join the profession
- Restore funding for a formalized induction program for new teachers
- Fully finance the Oklahoma School Funding Formula
- Restore state appropriated per-pupil funding to prerecession levels to ensure appropriate class sizes for all age levels
- Provide funds for principal/teacher professional learning designed to equip educators to address the needs of our most challenging populations, including children in trauma, and to successfully implement state mandated initiatives
- Provide adequate funding for school support staff and paraprofessionals
Protect research-based student learning fundamentals:
- Support legislation that will ensure a high quality, transparent, research based model for virtual education
- Promote effective age and developmentally appropriate student assessments (criterion-referenced, formative, multi-year, varied, ongoing)
- Ensure that student performance data from the state assessment is not a significant factor for determining teacher or principal effectiveness. Results should be considered a "snapshot" of student performance in each content area.
Click Here to download the Approved 2016-17 OAESP Legislative Goals in pdf format.