New Principals Academy
CCOSA's New Principals Academy is designed to promote an interactive discussion on topics essential for participants to develop understanding and knowledge of the leadership role at the school level. The purpose is to provide guidance to steer an early career principal or assistant principal through the initial period of adjustment as a beginning administrator and set the foundation for a long and rewarding career as a school administrator.
CCOSA and the New Principal Academy align its content with the 2015 Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (PSEL) from the National Policy Board for Education Administration, formerly known as ISLLC Standards. These PSEL Standards embody a research- and practice-based understanding of the relationship between educational leadership and student-learning. The Standards reflect interdependent domains, qualities and values of leadership work that research and practice suggest are integral to student success:
Professional Standards for Education Leaders
1. Mission, Vision, and Core Values
2. Ethics and Professional Norms
3. Equity and Cultural Responsiveness
4. Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
5. Community of Care and Support for Students
6. Professional Capacity of School Personnel
7. Professional Community for Teachers and Staff
8. Meaningful Engagement of Families and Community
9. Operations and Management
10. School Improvement
Sessions will be provided virtually and will include guided discussions, guest presentations from experienced education leaders, and time for grade-level focus groups. Each participant will also participate and receive online access to guided simulated scenarios on a variety of situations principals encounter when leading change.
MODULE DESIGN:The following module design is applied to each of the modules to ensure consistent delivery of content and learning format. A major focus of all modules is participants’ engagement in simulations, case studies, discussions and problem-solving strategies.
· Simulations/Case Studies
· Theory of Practice
· Transition to Next Module
· Closure/Summary – The Big Takeaways
Professional learning sessions will focus on the following practices:
- Building and maintain a positive school culture
- Providing effective instructional leadership
- Understanding the principal role in accreditation
- Family and community partnerships
- Educational leader self-care
- Balancing all the roles as a leader
- Supporting social-emotional needs of all learners
- Working through behavior and discipline issues
- Understanding the principal’s role in special education
- School security and safety
- Conflict management with parents, students, and staff
- Hiring and supporting staff
- Giving constructive feedback
Principal Academy Sessions include 4 trainings and 1 advocacy experience.
There are no documents available for this event.